Monday, October 13, 2008

Week 37 Checkup

Okay, so I think I am finally caught up on my blog entries and am now finally in 'real time'.

Today, I had my first 'weekly' appt., including my first Non-Stress Test.

Logan did a good job. I was supposed to have the appt. at the doctor's office 5 minutes from my house...but on Friday their non-stress machine broke and they rescheduled me to an office 20 minutes away...no big deal...however, apparently during all the rescheduling they double-booked some other lady and I for a non-stress test at the same time. No big deal to me...however the nurse was none too happy about it (honestly, she's never been a cheerful one to begin with).

Well Logan was apparently still a little sleepy so it took her a good 5 minutes of trying to find a constant heartbeat. This would have probably concerned me, except that I felt him move once or twice while she was doing this and every so often we'd hear the heartbeat. I think Logan could sense her frustration and decided not to give her the benefit of doubt. That's my boy...if you're not happy with her attitude, force her to bring in somebody else! So that is what happened. She said 'oh, I'll ask the other nurse to come in'....fine with me! :) So a more cheerful nurse came in, looked at my belly and said, 'oh he looks like he's over here' and poof, she was right and there was his heartbeat nice and strong!

So I laid there for the half hour or however long it was and watched the contraction line and the heartbeat line. (although after awhile, with my head turned to the right in order to watch these amazing lines jump and squiggle...I started getting nauseous (it's the same reason I can't turn around in the car from the front to back seat...even when not pregnant)). Anywho, I digress.

I clicked a little button every time I felt him move...which was kind of funny. He'd be nice and calm and I'd say 'Hey Logan' (in a sing-song voice that I normally do) and then he'd be real active for a good 30 seconds or so. I tried it 3 times and all 3 times it worked....what a cute little guy responding to his mother's voice. :)

So the doctor came in and said 'oh looks like you had some irregular contractions...did you feel them'. To my excitement (to know that I actually had some contractions) and dismay (that I didn't feel them) I told him no. He said well they weren't the 'real' contractions any way...you'd feel those! I joked with him and said 'oh, okay, because if those were contractions and I didn't feel them...labor would be a breeze!!!!'... hahaha!!!!

He examined me...didn't mention what I measured, but didn't say a little big or anything...so I think I am on target. He said that I was not dialated at all (bummer), but he did confirm that Logan was head down...so that's very good news.

He answered the questions I had which was great, in which I learned that when he lived in NY, he actually delivered all 3 of his boys. I asked him if he thought that was 'weird/nerve-wracking or cool....he said definitely cool. :)

So I go back next Monday for another checkup. I hope to be dialated a little...even if it is just 1cm by next week. But I also realize that I can't really help that...

Anybody have any out of the ordinary (or in the ordinary) things that helped get labor started? Just curious... :)

No comments: