Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Christmas Mountain - Skiing

This past weekend we went to Christmas Mountain in Wisconsin Dells, WI with my whole family.  We caravan'd up on Friday afternoon and got all settled in.  Friday night we snacked and played games - Apples to Apples to be exact - great game.  :)

Saturday, despite the fact that the high was 5 degrees at 2pm, we went skiing/tubing.  John and I went skiing and my nephews, TJ & Michael and my niece, Alexis went tubing - they had a blast.  My Dad, Steven & James watched the kids tubing and my Mom, Dawn & Melissa stayed back at the cabin with Jakob, Isabella and Logan (in a couple years we will strap skis on him and bring him with us).

John and I both enjoy skiing - we did every 'run'.  There were a few funny moments - both involving me.  

Incident #1 - I fell for the first time - I think ever.  We went down a steep mountain and then there is a part that goes up a fairly steep incline.  John went first and made it look easy (which he later admitted that it was not so easy and he felt a little wobbly)....yeah well, I went down at rocket-speed and on my way up, I didn't lean forward so much...and went tumbling backwards!  Oh dear!  Okay, so there I was lying directly halfway on the steep part of the 'mountain'.  I laughed the entire time - partly cuz it was truly funny, partly because I was alone so it was kind of sad, partly because the ski lift was almost right above me and stopped for some other reason - so yes, I could feel everybody staring at me and laughing (although I didn't hear them laugh) - but just imagine for a moment if you will, a bright yellow and black blob flailing on the ground trying to get up -ah, so sad.  So, I tried getting up with my skiis still on - yeah, that was a joke.  Then I tried to take one ski off - success.  However I still had trouble standing up.  I was leaning on one pole, which I almost broke my wrist...  Then I took my other ski off and was able to stand.    The next trick came for me to figure out which way to go.  I couldn't get my skiis on at that point as I was about to careen down the hill.  So I could only go up.  I walked sideways up the small, but steep hill.  I tripped on my way up, but I got to the top, put my skiis on and continued to the bottom to greet John who was waiting for me - luckily due to my bright colored coat could see me getting up - slowly but surely.

Incident #2 - Almost directly after my fabulous fall, we rode the ski lift again.  I tried to zip up the very top of my coat as I could feel a draft from my scarf.  In doing this on the ski lift, holding my poles and my glove (as I had to take in off in order for my fingers to work), it grew tricky, but ah-ha, I got it!  However while I was much warmer, my hand was about to grow much colder...I had dropped my glove!  Luckily we hadn't gone too far up the hill and the glove was just off the path of the slope.  So we rode up and I quickly came down and stopped with perfection right by my glove.  Whew - cold ride down though!  My hand was very thankful to have the protection of my glove again.  Here are some pics of skiing:

Getting ready....

John cruising around the top of one of the 'runs'...
John coming around the bend ready to jump in the lift line...
John and I on the ski lift...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wanna go skiing!!! Very graceful Paige!!! ;-)