Sunday, August 21, 2011

A Day with Thomas

Today we took the boys to 'A Day with Thomas'. It is a cute event all centered around Thomas the Train. While the boys really do play with a variety of toys, they both do truly love to play with trains. Our time slot to ride on Thomas was at 1pm and we got there at 10:30, so we enjoyed many of the other activities until then.

We first visited the Activity Tent - you can color pictures of Thomas (Carter colored), get a Thomas tattoo (Logan got Thomas on his hand; Carter got Diesel on his arm); you can make a postcard (Logan made one); you can play with train tables (they both did this for a bit).



Then we rode on a green Electric Train. After we were on and seated, the conductor told us that it was a 35-40 minute ride. Um...what? Here's why. While we were packing up the stroller I tossed in Tao (Carter's must-have elephant) into the stroller. John said that we shouldn't bring him along cuz we had enough stuff. I reluctantly agreed though I knew better. About halfway into the train ride, the train stopped (it was a single track and we had to let another train pass). The conductor came back and asked all the kids if they wanted a turn to blow the whistle. But of course! Logan was one of the first to get up there. Another lady had to help them...there was no longer room for John or I to get up there to help (very narrow train). Me Too, I mean Carter, had to have a turn as well. We waited until the end, stood up and he took a turn. We went to sit back down...that is where things took a turn. He thought we were done. He screamed. Loudly. I quickly whipped out fruit snacks, crackers, juice boxes...all the things I had as distractions throughout the day were going to be used on our second main activity, but I had to do what I had to do. Electric trains are quiet. The rest of the kids, for some reason, were quiet....except for Carter. Carter was appeased for only a short while with the food and drink....then screaming quickly re-commenced. We tried to stand with him, but he wanted to have us walk. Ugh. It was our first LOUD tantrum in public that we could not calm down quickly. I gave the folks an apologizing glance while trying to avoid eye contact at the same time. I just prayed that we didn't rile up any other kids. I did shoot John a glance of 'wishing you had that elephant now, aren't you?'. He understood and we vowed to never make that mistake again. :) Luckily after what was probably 5 minutes (seemed like 5 hours) he settled on his thumb and onto his Daddy's shoulder. Immediately upon exiting the train, Carter and I made the somewhat long walk to the car to get Tao (afterall, we still had Thomas to ride on). John and Logan stayed and played a round of mini-golf.

We grabbed a bite to eat, watched trains go by, checked out the model trains, Logan played in a mini bounce house maze for a little bit, watched a little bit of a Thomas movie in a tent...then we stood in line for Thomas. We took the diaper bag, including Tao onto the train. About 10 minutes into the ride, just as we were about to stop to turn around...Carter whined once and was getting antsy. I whipped Tao out so fast, he smiled, grabbed it, insert his thumb into his mouth. All. Was. Silent. :) Naturally on this train, it was a LOUD train with a bunch of excited kiddos that were making some noise. So had we not had Tao, it would not have been AS big of a deal. Plus, the ride was only 20 minutes. But hey - it was a success!

We then stood in line to get a picture with Thomas, which turned out fairly well. :)


All in all, it was a fun Thomas the Train kind of day!!

1 comment:

Jen Riley said...

Sounds like a fun day! Cute pic of the boys!