Friday, July 9, 2010

9 Fabulous Years!

On Wednesday, June 30th, John and I celebrated our 9 year wedding anniversary. Sometimes it is hard to believe that it has been that long!

The morning of our anniversary, John brought me up a gift from downstairs!! Imagine my surprise! In past years I have discussed gifts ahead of time, he's complained slightly about getting gifts and finding time to do so and usually I purchased something days beforehand and have at least a card waiting for him in the morning. This year, I didn't think much about gifts at all and I didn't even (gasp) get him a card!! So boy did I feel bad when he not only presented me with a card, but a present as well!! It was so nice that he did think of it and it was honestly such a wonderful surprise. Now the gifts. It is important to note that we have always followed both the traditional and modern gifts when we exchange. So our gifts are not expensive jewlery or anything uber amazing, but more fun to figure out what to get each other that fits into the category.

9 years it is: Pottery or Willow (traditional), Leather (modern)

John got me a red oval serving platter (pottery) - which I had previously seen at Target and really liked, a notepad (leatherbound) and the movie Willow. He also gave me Reese Cups (as they are my absolute favorite) and a gift certificate for a nail salon. So sweet!!

Now, what threw me was the movie Willow. I didn't put it together at the time, but I thought he just really wanted that movie so he was giving it to me as a gift...you know, trying to be sneaky. Not so much. Later I found out that he was just sticking with the theme - he said it was either the movie or a stick, which he didn't happen to find. He didn't care about the actual movie.

So, later that day the boys and I went to the library for storytime and they fell asleep on the way home (shocker...). I thought it would be a cute idea to find John's car at the train station and put a note on his car that I couldn't wait to see him for a date later that night. I drove up and down in all 3 parking lots at the train station and thought....where on earth does he park? He gets there fairly early... It was at this time I was telling my sister on the phone what I was doing and it hit me....he takes the train to work on Tuesday. Today was Wednesday. DUH! No kidding I couldn't find his car....man alive! So I later went and got him some gifts. I got him a new leather belt (skipped the Willow idea) and got him some iTunes giftcards and some candy. Since earlier I thought he'd given me Willow the movie because he wanted the movie and was being sneaky, I got him the other red piece of pottery (as a joke since I wanted it) to match my other dish. Haha, John, I'll get you! Yeah....so when I gave it to him later he laughed that I gave him pottery. Then it all clicked to me - he could care less about the movie Willow, he was just doing it to tie in with the traditional gift. So who looks silly now?!?! Ah, Paige..

Anywho, that is just a silly story that I wanted to remember...

For our anniversary night our original plan was to go out to dinner with the kids. However, as time got closer we realized that going to dinner with 2 small children is not going to be even a little bit relaxing and will likely stress us out. So, we placed a call to my parents and they came on up to watch the boys. So the plan to go to a family friendly restaurant that was noisy to help masque any screams from our table quickly turned into a place where jeans were not worn and silence was the norm...yay! We went to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse - oh YUM!

We enjoyed a lovely dinner...delicious steak, yummy sides, a martini for me and wine for him and dessert where they wrote 'Happy Anniversary' on our plate. It was super good.

We came home to Logan fast asleep and Carter - smiling and squirming in excitement to see us. It was nice as I rarely am away from the boys, so I don't get to see their pure excitement when I enter a room. :)

That weekend, on Saturday we went to one of my college friends' wedding. As we forgot to take a picture on our actual anniversary, we snapped this picture in the parking lot of the banquet hall. It was another nice evening without children. John's parents came down and had a great time with the boys.
John and I are very thankful for a healthy, happy marriage that has been blessed with 2 adorable boys that bring joy to us every day!

No comments: