Friday, May 28, 2010

Mom Group

Last March when John and I were vacationing in Arizona with Logan, who was only 3 months old, I decided that I needed a Mom group. A couple others new mom's I knew had found one close to their home and really enjoyed it. Knowing that I am internet-search challenged, I asked John to help me and within minutes he found a group in our hometown. I filled out the request form and met a few of the moms for lunch about a week and a half later.

Honestly, I don't know what I would have done without this Mom group. It took some time attending some meetups (with a baby who didn't interact with the older kids) for me to get to know some of the other Moms. One Mom that joined within a month after I did contacted me since her daughter was 3.5 months older than Logan and out of the whole group, there weren't many kids our kids age. We have now become close friends with Kathy and Maddie. :) We started getting together several times a week for walks or hanging out at each other's homes or going to parks to push our non-mobile children in swings. Slowly we got more involved with the group and have started making more friends.

Recently, the organizer stepped down and one of my friends that I just started getting to know took the group over. I had told her that I would help her out; so now I am a co-organizer to the group I started just over a year ago. So now we are trying to think of fun activities for the group to do during the summer - fun kids crafts to partake in. It is pretty exciting! The group has about 50 members, but about 35 of them are active - which is a lot of different people to hang out with. I have gotten to know several of them and it is truly a great group. It has made being a Stay at Home Mom so much more fun. I feel like my kids are getting much more of a social interaction. We attend weekly playgroups and also go to museums, zoo's, parks, mall play areas, splash pads - all kinds of places. We also do Moms Nights Out and go to a restaurant, see a movie or go to one of our houses. We do book clubs and other things with just the moms. It really helps to have adult conversation during the day when I otherwise would not have. I highly recommend finding a Mom group to any new or experienced mom!

Just wanted to share an exciting part of my life!

No comments: