Monday, November 23, 2009

Logan's One Year Wellness Checkup

Today was Logan's one year wellness checkup. It was a smidgen past one year, but it was the earliest I could get an appointment. I did make sure to get the doctor that I like the best - Dr. L. He never rushes me and always takes the time to explain any question I have. What a great doctor! Here are the stats:

22 pounds 15 ounces (47th percentile)
33 inches (99th percentile)
head: 18.5 cm (64th percentile)

Still a skinny, tall drink of water!

The nurse took all his measurements and pricked his finger to check his iron level. He did absolutely fine for it...and then she put the band-aid on. He did not like it on his finger. He did not whine or anything, but was trying to shake it off his hand (like he does when I put mittens on his hands). Then he tried to slobber it off. During the doctor's exam, I noticed 2 light stains on my shirt...and then the doctor and I realized that the band-aid was gone. Uh oh. We looked around the room and then thought perhaps he swallowed it. I felt bad because if he was chewing on it, I would think that I would have noticed. The doctor mentioned that it will 'turn up' soon enough (meaning when he goes to the bathroom). Minutes later, I saw it on the floor. We didn't see it before because after he slobbered on it, the color of the band-aid blended right into their dark hardwood floors. Phew! :)

Between the nurse and doctor visit (which was literally seconds) I heard the doctor ask something and the nurse answer back, no he's a good boy. I think he was wondering if Logan didn't like being poked and prodded or something.

The doctor checked him out and everything appeared to be looking good! Hooray! We went through the round of questions of his development and I was able to answer positively to all of them (walking, stops to pick things up, etc.) except says 'Mama or Dada' clearly. See, he says both of those sounds and we do think that for the most part he is calling us, but I guess since it is not all the time and exclusively for us, I didn't want to answer yes. Anyway, when the doctor came in this was one of two things he further questioned. He asked if there was anything that he says clearly. I said well, not really clear words, but he does 'talk' a lot and he does do a few signs. He said oh good, then he's not worried at all. By 12 months children apparently should be able to have at least 2 'expressive' forms of communication. Since he very clearly signs 'milk', 'all done' and 'more'; these are forms of expression.

The other item that the doctor mentioned was the amount of milk we give him. I have stuck with the same amount that we gave him in formula as we do in whole milk...about 30 ounces. I recently heard that children are supposed to get a maximum of 32 ounces of dairy a day. Eeks...he also has yogurt and cheese. So yes, when I told the nurse that he drinks about 30 ounces of milk a day, it did not come to my surprise that the doctor told me that I needed to cut back. He said that about 16 ounces a day was a good amount.
We also discussed juice - some of my Mom friends have mentioned that juice is a 'treat' every few days. He mentioned that juice is 'empty calories' so in order to address childhood obesity, we should limit juice intake to 4-6 ounces a day. It can be watered down in order for it to last longer.
The doctor asked if he was walking and wanted him to do it. So he put Logan down and watched him walk the 5-6 steps to me (guessing he was making sure he wasn't walking funny).
We then discussed immunizations. He ended up getting the MMR, Chicken Pox and 1st flu shot. Next month we will go back and get the 2nd flu shot and Prevnar immunization. I held off on the last one as he was already getting a lot of shots and since his immune system appears to be not super stellar, I wanted him to get the flu shot. When Logan got the shots he didn't wince for one of them, did wince for the 2nd shot and cried for about 10 seconds for the 3rd shot. What a champ! As soon as I picked him up, he was fine. I think he didn't like being constrained and lying on the table (sometimes he doesn't even like laying down for a quick diaper change).
I think that wraps up his one year wellness visit. A great checkup for a cute, healthy little boy.

No comments: