Ugh. This morning Logan woke up a little extra early (6:45). Lately it has been 7:30. He was crying when he woke up, which indicated that he wasn't ready to get up...but alas, there he was standing waiting for a rescue. We rescued him and let him crawl around while John got ready for work. At 8:40 John walked out the door and I read the very tired-eyes closing, Logan, a story and put him down for a nap. He laid down just fine like he usually does, but then did decide that he wasn't sure about sleeping and started whining. I usually endure a few minutes of it, as 9 times out of 10 he falls asleep within those few minutes. Just as I was hitting the mark of going back in his room to see what was up, I heard:
KABOOM - WHAAAAAAA!!!!!
I nearly threw my laptop across the room and ran into his room. Yes, there he was on the FLOOR, face up, with his head towards his crib and his feet towards his dresser - smack dab in the middle of the room, staring at the fan and crying. Oh, my heart dropped - I quickly made sure he was moving and not paralyzed in any fashion, then scooped him up and hugged him tightly. Just then, oddly enough, John came back home (he had forgotten his phone...which he never does) - so I yelled down to him and he rushed up the stairs to console our baby as well and make sure that there were no huge bumps or bruises. He quickly calmed down (what a tough guy...). After he was calm, I cried a bit - oh, just hearing that sound made me quiver.
When we lowered his crib just over a month ago, we thought (for a quick second) about putting it down all the way, but said that since the lowest part of the crib rail came to his chest there was 'no way' he'd get out. Apparently we didn't consider his excellent climbing skills that he would soon learn, nor his crazy-amazing upper body strength in which he would learn to pull himself up.
I wish (and yet I don't) that I had been looking at the video monitor (it wasn't plugged in since I was awake and just across the hall)....I'm just curious how long he'd been working on it and how fast it happened - and how he did it. Granted, had I been staring at the monitor, I obviously would've run in there 'before' he fell out.
Anyway, he is fine and tonight we did lower his crib to the 'very' bottom. I don't dare him to get out, but really at this point he could not. I know that this is only the beginning of his falls, but I think the distance in which he fell is what scared me. I don't get all in a tizzy if he falls on the ground, after standing or sitting...but the distance from the crib to the floor is a lot more than just standing. I did have to put him in there for a nap today and had the video monitor on and the second he woke up, I bolted up the stairs to get him before he could even stand up. I don't need 2 falls in one day. :)
3 comments:
Ahh...they all do it at some point. Fortunately, babies don't know to tense up when they fall, so they're rarely hurt...like cats. Erin first leapt from her bed about a year ago...I didn't hear anything, because she'd kind of rappelled down the outside railing, and then knocked on the inside of her bedroom door to be let out. Still scary...since I don't know how often she just gets up and plays with the toys, or roams the house in the dead of night.
Glad he's okay - that had to be terrifying, though!
True story - one Sunday morning we walked out of the house to our car and one of our neighbors was sitting on the porch holding her two year old in her arms and they were both screaming. The two year old had fallen out of the 2nd story window. We later found out she was barely bruised. Not a broken bone or anything. Kid are so flexible and can take things much better than our old bodies can!
Sorry you had to experience that - I know how it is to have your heart in your throat when you hear (or see in my case) your baby fall. I had started changing TJ's diaper one time and got a phone call so I buckled him on the changing table, ran out to grab the phone and walked right back in, in time to see him go go head first from a kneeling position on to the floor. Luckily he did a full flip and landed on his back instead of on his head. I screamed and hung up the phone (luckily it was my sis). Man, kids sure can scare ya, huh? A truly fitting quote "The miracle of life is not birth, but survival".
Post a Comment