Thursday, June 18, 2009

I'm Pregnant!!!!

On Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 8am in the morning we found out that I am in fact pregnant again!!!!!!!! We are thrilled to pieces….as are Logan and Buddy. :) After we had Logan I never went on a contraceptive – we figured it took 5 years to get pregnant the 1st time, if we got pregnant on our own, it would just be another blessing. For those of you trying to do the math they will be 15 months apart. We are very excited!!!

I was 'late', but because I had just completely stopped breastfeeding, my cycle was all over the place...so who knew when it was supposed to come. During this time, it did dawn on me that I could be pregnant….but let’s not forget the number of tests I took during those last 5 years and how many times I got my hopes up and then cried because the test was negative. My fertility specialist said that there shouldn't be any reason why I can't get pregnant naturally going forward since my fertility issues were 'unexplained'. However, I remember asking my OB doctor if there was a good chance I’d get pregnant on my own after Logan. She said well anything is possible, however since I tried for 5 years before conceiving, it may not be so likely. Since we still had 5 embryos in the freezer, I was okay with this, although it is a lot easier to not go through 2 months of medications and procedures.

Sunday morning I took a pregnancy test (Target brand). It came out with a very faint line. John and I both said….we’ll wait a couple days more. We both were kind of smiling, dreaming of the possibility, but it was so faint we just weren’t sure…plus it was an off-brand…who knew if it was defective. Tuesday morning I took another test….it was a little darker, but still faint. We smiled a lot more, however, again, it wasn’t screaming dark blue like the package shows….so who knows. The idea danced around in our heads, but we weren’t sure enough to scream and jump around. However, it was now stuck in my head that this is a strong possibility. I had some errands to run – which I did, but during my visit to Walgreens to pick up some photos, I grabbed an EPT brand pregnancy test. I debated buying the digital one (I ended up not, because the answer is too definitive and I just didn’t know if I wanted to be let down with the words ‘Not Pregnant’ on the stick….I could handle a minus sign, but not too sure about the words). I came home and peed on the stick – I didn’t wait. for the following morning Again, a faint line (+)….so 3 faint lines…could it be? Not sure yet – nothing to scream at me saying YES. After a half hour that faint line kind of disappeared, but after 10 minutes the results are no longer valid. However I still kind of took that as a sign that it was a false faint line. The rest of the day was fine, but I was slightly bummed…however as John had mentioned, my period was still nowhere in sight….so it was still a possibility.

I had to go to Target for some groceries. Logan sat up in the cart like a big boy…so cute! Naturally, while I was there….I grabbed another pregnancy test. This time I got the Clearblue Easy Digital test – it is the same brand when I finally took a test with Logan.

I woke up several times in the middle of the night - I was so anxious, plus I had to pee frequently (a clear sign). Buddy got up as well as Logan once or twice, which is odd. At 8am, I finally woke up with the courage to take the digital test. I washed my hands while the little hourglass turned and turned. It says that by 3 minutes the response will show…I was fully expecting to wait those 3 minutes. No longer than one minute….the words appeared…. “PREGNANT”. AH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I screamed at John (who was still sleeping…he was up late on a conference call with work so he was sleeping in). I’m pregnant!!!! I’m pregnant!!!! I jumped up on our bed and shoved the stick in his face and he was just smiling. I started crying. Seriously, 5 years of negative tests and hopes up and down, we didn’t think the day of just getting pregnant on our own was even possible. My screams had woken up Logan so I went and got him. We took a video of us telling him the excellent news. He was shocked at first, but then was happy about the news – it is too cute!

It’s kind of funny – on Logan’s 6 month birthday I made the call to the new fertility clinic (I got the referral about a month prior). The appointment, which I now had to cancel, was for June 1st – what timing. It was great to call and cancel because I’m pregnant! We knew we wanted our kids to be close in age and since we’d have to go through IVF and insurance, we kind of wanted to move sooner than later on trying. Plus, our 1st IVF cycle didn’t work, so who knows how long it would take. Yes, if we never got pregnant again, we would have felt fulfilled and extremely happy – Logan is just the greatest thing to ever happen to us, however we are so glad to expand our family and know that Logan will be an excellent Big Brother! We have talked about the size of our family and while we want to take it one baby at a time, we do think that we want a big family – how big, who knows.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news! We are all excited for you two.
Congrats!
Carrie, Art, Nolan, Fitzgerald and Gatsby

Amy said...

Congratulations!!!!

Abbey said...

Wow, I can't wait to see the video of Logan's reaction. You are both so funny. Congrats!

Kristin said...

Congrats Paige! I'm so happy for you!