Saturday, March 7, 2009

4 Month Checkup

Thursday, March 5th, Logan turned 4 months old (man, time is flying by).  On Friday, March 6th, we went to the doctor....here are his stats:

16 pounds 10 ounces (80th percentile) - gained almost exactly 3 pounds
27.25 inches (98th percentile) - grew almost 2 inches
head: 16.5 inches (40th percentile)

The interesting thing about his height, is that John was the same exact height at this age (Dorene keeps John's baby book close by so she can compare when I call)....however, John was 18 pounds 5 ounces at this age....so a bit chunkier!!!  But I think it is crazy that they were the same exact height...even that it is a 1/4 inch.

Anyway, the checkup went well.  They didn't scoff at all when I told them that he's been eating rice cereal regularly every night for 2 straight weeks (the last doc said no solids prior to 4 months...but this doctor seemed to not be so strict).  She mentioned that since he has done great on rice cereal to try the oatmeal cereal...so he's trying new things...exciting!  (We did try it Saturday night and he LOVED it.)  Soon, we will start adding vegetables and fruits...slowly but surely - one week at a time.

At the beginning of the checkup they run through a list of 'does he do this'...of the things I remember....Does he...
...put weight on his legs...YES, he ALWAYS wants to stand - anybody that has ever held him can vouch for that one
...grab for objects out of reach...Yes, in his swing there are 2 toys on the tray that are attached to it.  He can now reach them and holds them in his hands as if to say, "Hey Mom, look at me - I can hold these toys!".
...hold his head at a 90 degree angle....YES, he has been able to do that since the first month
...bring his hands together...YES, I mentioned that he was doing it right then - he does this all the time and it looks like he's praying...so sweet.
...roll over...Not yet, but when he lays on his back, he rolls back and forth onto each side and does kick his legs, but he hasn't fully rolled over just yet.

So he's doing great.  He had to have an oral medicine and sucked it up just like a bottle!  He also had to have 2 shots...one in each thigh.  He cried for about 5-10 seconds and then was fine.  What a guy!

Heartbreaking-Mommy moment....I forgot to give him Tylenol when we went to the doctor's office (I have been given this piece of advice by many people).  I later went to my parents house and about 4 hours after Logan was given the shots, he started crying.  Typically the best way to get him to stop and go to sleep is to hold him very close to me and pat his bum or tap his pacifier - those 2 things soothe him quickly....typically.  On this particular day they did not....in fact, he was screaming harder - I had never seen him like this.  My Dad and I each took turns holding him (My Mom had had a minor surgery that morning so she was sleepy herself)...and then about 10 minutes into the screaming I remembered...duh, he had shots this morning.  I was probably squeezing his legs and that was probably hurting.  Luckily I remembered to bring the baby tylenol - so I quickly gave him the dosage....and 15 minutes later when it kicked in, he went to sleep.  Poor baby.  Never will I forget to give him the tylenol immediately before or after getting shots.  He kept looking at me as if to say, Mom, what is going on...make it stop.  Oh, how it tugged at my heartstrings.

All in all....great appointment, he's growing just fabulously and he's getting older....ah, I can't take it!

No comments: