We are getting ready to see the endocrinologist next week to follow up on Ryan's Vitamin D levels (he still takes vitamin D drops everyday). To prep for this visit, he had to get his blood drawn. Last time they pricked his heel and just squeezed enough blood out. Ryan wasn't a huge fan bug it was likely more that he was laying on a hard table and they were holding his ankle firm. Fast forward 2 months later for our follow-up. My MIL & niece were in town so I didn't bring the older boys....thank goodness! They used a real band around his arm to check for 'good' veins! I casually mentioned how last time they used his heel. She promised me she would only try one time and if it didn't work she would do the heel, but the doctor wanted an additional test so they needed more blood this time & the heel would take a lot longer. Okay..... His arms didn't present very well but his his left hand apparently had a good one. They let me hold Ryan instead of having him on a table, so for that I was thankful. I grabbed his pacifier as just searching for a good vein he was pissed and giving the nurse the ol evil eye. She understood. I've always been okay when the kids got immunizations, but this was different...probably because it lasted longer than a shot. It probably didn't help that I watched them move the needle around his hand to get the vein. She was gentle & wasn't all crazy-like, but Ryan felt otherwise. He would shoot me a glance, then her. I kept it together but I just wanted it over. When they hit the vein and kept the needle still, he calmed down. She gave him an awesome Daffy Duck band-aid, which Logan thought was cool even though he doesn't know who that is. :)
He does have a little bruise on his hand that you can see in the pic below as he is trying to chew off his hand (perhaps a lil teething as he also has clear snot just like Carter did for every darn tooth). And he is smiling this morning, so all is forgotten. :(


No comments:
Post a Comment