John and I are thinking that we may be a bit rebellious and start cereal a bit sooner than 'recommended'. "They" say 4-6 months to start solids. I believe they say to wait until that time period to reduce the risk of allergies and problems with digestion or something. Naturally any time you mention doing things earlier or later than the 'books' recommend, you get all kinds of opinions. I would say, for the most part, people that we've mentioned this to all agreed that we should start him now.
I've read many, many websites about this (sometimes the Internet is just an awful thing). They talk about allergies, childhood diabetes and obesity. I have a feeling the obesity reference is NOT from feeding rice cereal too early, but maybe from letting your child eat crap and sit on the couch and do nothing or play video games all day long. Just a thought. ;)
Other sites have mentioned to start rice cereal if he is 4 months or weighs at least 14 pounds, drinks at least 30 ounces a day and has good head control. Well, Logan definitely over 14 pounds, drinks about 30 ounces (sometimes more) a day and has great head control.
Sure, we are eager to try something new, but if he is not ready, we definitely will not push it. So, we will probably try it soon via the spoon and see how he does. If it is success, great! If not, we will wait a bit and try again. :)
3 comments:
So how is Arizona? I was able to visit with Buddy when we picked up Bruno. He is such sweetheart!
Paula and Dave
Hi Paige, You might have heard this already, you can try mixing just a bit of cereal in a bottle. I think about a tablespoon or two in a four ounce bottle. You do have to open the hole in the nipple to allow it to flow but this can be a nice step to spoon fed cereal. This is a good trick also if Logan just doesn't get the swallowing cereal at first. I bet he will though as he seems to be an over achiever!! ;-) I also have to tell you how much I enjoy this blog and your pictures. Logan is a beautiful baby!
Hi Paige,
I certainly think he is old enough and big enough to start solids.
Gee, we did it much earlier and somehow we all survived. ( Sound like an old timer?). Anyway, you know your child, and can't help but think it's worth a try. He's a big boy, and needs more than fluids, I would think.
Just a note about cereal in a bottle. A lot of people do that, but I remember a friend who also had a big baby. She put cereal in the bottles, and found that he wouldn't drink a bottle without the cereal. That made for even more weight. So............as I said, your blessed with a beautiful child, and I'm sure you will know the right thing to do.
Enjoy him......he's wonderful !
Love, Aunt Marlene
Post a Comment